For SSC exam to be completed by an aspirant, a lot of patience and perseverance is needed because it is a long journey consists almost 1 year of exam processes. So, followings will be the prior need before starting actual preparation :
- MENTAL PREPAREDNESS for smart work cum hard work is necessary.
- PUNCTUALITY is mandatory too.
- And the most important is ‘CONTINUITY’ should be maintained until you qualify the exam finally. So, this was the fundamental need.
First, understand the exam and the most important is, pattern and syllabus which is as follows:
>> PRELIMS or TIER 1
It includes 4 subject each one consists of 25 Questions and 50 Marks as below-
a. Quantitative Aptitude (Most important due to Mains or TIER 2)
b. General English (Most important for the same)
c. Reasoning (Highly scoring)
d. General Studies (Need smart study)
Now I’m going to explain the books for different subjects and mock test as well.
1. For Quant, the pattern of Exam has shifted towards IBPS pattern so from now onwards you need to be skilled in calculation speed and the book is “Quantum CAT by Sarvesh Kumar Verma” for fundamental learnings. For the practice, the mock test is necessary for which you can use any website’s mock like Qmaths, Gradeup, SscTube etc. For question practice “Kiran’s previous year question bank” is a must. Also you can go with class notes of Rakesh Yadav sir for short tricks.
Note: In Gradeup I used to solve many quizzes and practised a lot of Quant questions.
2. For General English, you need to comprehend the articles and should have a strong vocabulary. So, for this you need to complete at least once “WORD POWER Made easy” and for other needs of vocab, Nikhil Gupta’s BLACK BOOK is best. Now for all the grammars, you need to study through “SSC English by Ajay Kumar Singh from MB Publication” and “Objective English by S P Bakshi” and the same amount of practice is needed through any platform like Gradeup, Testbook etc… Parallelly try to read The Hindu newspaper daily as well.
3. For Reasoning, Practice all previous year questions and also questions based on a current pattern like easier puzzles, counting figures etc due to IBPS. And practice for the same from Gradeup, Testbook etc..or any choice of yours. This will be enough for the reasoning section.
4. Last is the GS which needs the proper and smart guess based study through multiple platforms like important quizzes. This is what I did. But if someone wants to study it thoroughly then follow current affairs wholeheartedly, remember some important Articles of our Constitution, some important battles of History (Who, Where, When mostly), watch some youtube videos by scrutinizing contents by yourself with the help of previous year questions and syllabus.
Books for GS:
>> Black book of General awareness [PDF]
>> Lucent [PDF english] [PDF hindi]
I will discuss some important notes and topic for the same soon.
>> MAINS or TIER 2
Now coming to the Mains, only two paper Quantitative Aptitude and General English is mandatory to all, Finance and Economics paper for AAO opted candidates and Statistics paper for JSO opted candidates. Following are the details:
1. Quantitative Aptitude– For this same strategy to be opted for the common topics like Commercial Mathematics but in Mains or TIER 2 Advance Mathematics is the real challenge for this you need to practice a lot. Same books should be followed for all topics as mentioned in TIER 1 section.
2. General English– Now in this almost all the topics are same as in TIER 1 but you need to focus more on the following topics:-
a. Reading Comprehension including passage and cloze test (Reading of The Hindu newspaper is highly recommended for this. This topic is highly scoring topic in English almost 30% )
b. Voice and Narration ( High amount of practice is only option to achieve high score but this is too Highly scoring topic in English almost 25%)
And the next stage is TIER 3 which is completely Descriptive in nature and after that TIER 4 which is for selective posts, it includes CPT (Computer Proficiency Test) and DEST (Data Entry Skill Test). For this last two TIER, I will make a separate post for both of them very soon.